Rockin Robbin

Rolling in Tampa

Monday, August 21, 2006

Orange Blood Runs Thru My Veins





This is Matt getting ready for a game... or should I say Matt's coach HELPING him get ready for a game. Matt has a few coaches but this one is his favorite. His Name is Orion McCants. Eat your heart out, VOLS FANS! HE USED TO PLAY FOOTBALL FOR THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE! - Which is reason enough for him to be Matt's favorite. Matt's mind and body probably just gravitated towards McCANTS since he played for the BIG ORANGE. You see, in Knoxville, Tennessee football is not just football. UT football is a lifestyle. Everyone wears the color ORANGE, even out of season. On game day it looks like it does here in Florida when a hurricane is coming. The streets are EMPTY. Everything in Knoxville revolves around UT football. Bucs fans don't even know what being a fan is until they experience football UT style.
Most of my family went to UT. My Daddy graduated from there and my mom worked in payroll there. My grandmother was head of housekeeping there. When I young, I remember hanging out in her office in the summer. Sometimes she would take me on errands with her in student housing. I remember the dorms, the kids, the smell of food and the holes in some of the walls punched out durning a fight that mamaw would make a note of. One time she told me a story about the football players. They had a special dorm just for them with carpet (HEY! It's how I heard the story!) and some of the football players would lay on their beds and kick holes in the wall with their ankles. Maintance would fix it and the football players would do it again. Well, maintance got smart and put 2x4 boards in the wall and one of the players fractured his ankle... wonder how that effected his game...
Anyway, I think Matt likes McCants because he is so great with the kids. He knows how to criticize but he can be their best cheerleader too. You can tell he really loves the game.
In the picture, McCants is tightening up Matt's belt. I make Matt drink LOTS of water and he always has to pee. Sometimes he pees in the car on the way to practice in an empty water bottle. We call it his LEMONADE. Roger freaked out when he saw him do that but as long as he gets it out of the car to the trash -IT'S ALL GOOD-!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home