Rockin Robbin

Rolling in Tampa

Monday, September 18, 2006

Uncle Jack




My great Uncle Jack died today. He was 80. The top 2 pictures were where he lived for a long time. My great-grandfather, Simpson Westberry Presley and his son, Jack Cane Presley built it together, well almost, when they moved in it, it was a four room house. When I was a little kid, me and all my cousins had so much fun here! I remember us sailing down the hill on BIG WHEELS and making mud pies. My Greatgrandparents lived down stairs with my grandmother and grandfather, Mamaw and Papaw-Bill. Uncle Jack and Aunt Mary lived with their son Luke upstairs. We called it the attic but it was really a 2-bedroom apartment. They also had built a bomb shelter down below JUST IN CASE, and they had big cans of food stored there. I have so many good memories from that place. Aunt Mary and Uncle Jack were neat people. Aunt Mary made all her own soap and they always had animals. Two dogs "Blackie" and her son "Slick". Geese at the top of the hill, pigeons, sometimes squirrels and every once in a while a calf that I would sit and talk and hand feed straw too. Aunt Mary always had a garden of some sort and I loved it when she had a strawberry patch. In the last picture you see is Luke, their son, my mother holding me, Aunt Mary and Uncle Jack and Granddaddy with my cousin David on the end. Behind us is where we had the strawberry patch. We also used to play croquet there too. I remember one year at Christams, when I was four, Uncle Jack made a REALLY NICE doll bed and kitchen sink for me. I am talking all wood, not like the plastic ones of today.
In the black and white picture you will see a teenage Uncle Jack standing next to my Mamaw. Her daddy (My Greatgranddaddy)is standing next to her with his youngest son, my Uncle Pete (Pete's real name was Charles Edward, so how do you get the name Pete out of that?) in front of him is Billy Joe which was everyone nephew! His daddy (Bill) was the oldest so he had a head start on his family!
I'll miss Uncle Jack, but I know my Mamaw and the rest of her family are glad to see him in Heaven. You know, I am blessed. Because I know, that I know, that I know, I will see almost every member of my mom's family again one day. The same day that it is written for me to pass from this life to the next. I am glad my name is there... in the book of life, is yours?
Signing off for now, Uncle Jack, see ya soon... GOD KNOWS WHEN!
Love Robbin Leigh-Ann

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home