Rockin Robbin

Rolling in Tampa

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It's all RELATIVE




Katherine had to do a big project on her family tree for school that was due today. I stayed up VERY late last night to help her. She's a procrastinator like me- don't know WHO she learned THAT from...
My grandmother's maiden name is PRESLEY and all my family up in Tennessee are the Presley's. I used to ask my mamaw if we were related to ELVIS but she never seemed to interested in the subject. She said one of her daddy's brother's named Vernon moved away and maybe that was Elvis' dad. Things like that didn't matter back then like they seem to now. Everybody's driving around in expensive cars, getting their nails done, wearing lots of jewelry... you know, brands are important now days more than they used to be.
...So with this project due I decided to dig deeper about this whole thing and I found out that IT'S TRUE! Elvis is a cousin of mine!
I talked to a couple of people last night that I didn't even know existed. One was my great-grandfather's brother's daughter Cordiella or "Cricket". She gave me quite a bit of info and gave me the number to my great-great-grandfather's brother's granddaughter. Did you catch all that? If you didn't, I don't suggest you read futher because you might get dizzy and ill trying to follow this next one -REMEMBER! YOU HAVE BEEN FOREWARNED!
Elvis' daddy was Vernon Presley, whose daddy was Jesse Presley, whose daddy was Dunnin Presley Jr. This would have been Elvis' great-granddaddy. Well this man, Dunnin Presley Jr. (named after his dad -Dunnin Presley) had a younger brother named George W. Presley. George W. Presley had a son named William O. Presley, who had a son named Simpson W. Presley who had my mamaw! I knew Simpson and his wife but they were always granny and granddaddy to me. Granny died when I was 6 and granddaddy when I was 11 or 12. In my blog about Uncle Jack last week, you can see a picture of granddaddy because that was Jack's daddy.
So, to recap this whole thing- Elvis' great-granddaddy was my great-great-great-granddaddy's brother.
Matthew wanted to know if they would give us a discount or let us in free if we visited Graceland.
NO.
It's not about the discount Matthew.
It's about the BRAND!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robin,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this! My name is Rick Presley. My father, Mike, passed a copy of this post on to me over Thanksgiving... Simpson W Presley was my great-grandfather. Quite interesting!!

Thanks,
Rick

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home